Warning Alert !!!!

Ab sofort gibt es Informationen zum 18. Street Bob Meeting. Ihr findet alle Hinweise dazu im Forum sowie im Meeting-Bereich.
Ab sofort könnt ihr euch für das SBM 2024 anmelden. Schaut dazu einfach auf der Anmeldeseite im Meeting Bereich vorbei.
  • Read this on a HD forum(which I'm a member) for Dyna models and thought you all should be warned about !!!

sprocket bolts sheared off on street bob, YIKES!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My ridding buddy Rich is riding his 06 Street Bob and on his way back from San Francisco when the motor quit.
    75 on the Freeway, bike still coasted but nothing happened when the clutch was cycled in and out.
    He makes it to the side and starts checkin out the ride for issues when he notices a broken bolt laying by the rear wheel. Looks closer and finds the rear pulley completly undone from the hub, loose, like free spinning. the bolts had backed out one by one until one of them was long enough to catch on the swingarm. BANG sheared the rest of the bolts right off at the hub.
    Munched the hub, tire, pulley, belt and swingarm. Oh yeah and then there is all those broken bolts.
    You are probably wondering the same thing I was, how the heck did you miss noticing the bolts all backing out? He has no answer except he was not as attentive as he will be in the future. he was laughing at me a last summer because I wash my bike once a week. Nice to have it clean but one of the nice by products is I get my hands all all parts of the bike to clean them and notice any annomalies before they become a problem.
    His bike is nasty dirty and you cant even see some of the bolt heads. Ick.

So this is the really entertaining part. He Purchased the extended warranty when he bought the bike. It is covered until 2010 +. Heck it just went off the factory 2 year warranty 2 months before this. Harley decides, NOT Covered. Couldn't believe it. I start making calls and finally get the warranty manager. I say "let me get this straight. Harley Bolts, Harley install and Harley wont cover it under the Harley warranty?"
    No matter what I did they would not cover it. I looked at the warranty information and there it is right under exclusions, no final drive coverage.

My faith in Harley as a company is wavaring hard. I love my bike but the company is lame.
    He contacted the florida dealer where he used to lived, they were the last place to change the tire, to find out if they removed the pulley to change the tire. I don't know why you would but the bolts are one time use only.
    The dealer decided to pay for the neccesary repairs which are being done out here in California. Wheel, tire, pulley. Scratched up swingarm stays.
    So now his bike has been in the shop for over two months because the Street bob rear wheel is on backorder.
    I keep tellin my buddy. get one on eBay and I will put it on for you. He dosn't have the coin to buy one.
    Passing this story along because if you have not checked your sprocket bolts lately, now is a good time. I check mine everytime I ride now.

Anyone else had this sprocket issue?

• Basically keep a check on the rear pully bolts..maybe mark them with white paint and check they dont move...if you ever remove it ALWAYS use new bolts...NEVER use the old ones and use Loctite!!!! I'm sorry the post was in English because this is a German forum but maybe thought you might understand. This issue is current and as most Harley's are in America...problems seem to be reported there first...so take some simple advice..when your doing your monthly wash and clean up...check your bike over..

Safe riding to all fellow Dyna riders..........................

• Im Grunde nach geht es darum das sich die Schrauben am Hinterreifen Pully unbemerkt langsam lösen und dann abscheren können. Deswegen sollten diese regelmäßig kontrolliert werden zB bei der Reinigung vom Bike. Am besten markiert man diese mit einem weißen Lackstift. So sieht man wenn diese sich langsam lösen. Die Schrauben dürfen auch nicht wieder verwendet werden sondern müssen immer getauscht werden.

• Tecnically I do not understand why the "old" bolts couldn't be used with LOCTITE :shock: .
    The Company would like to sell theír origin bolts with "LOCTITE-application"....... :wink:

Habe keinen Schimmer und sehe keinen technischen Grund, warum man neue Schrauben nehmen soll,
    LOCTITE sollte OK sein.
    Die GmbH möchte natürlich gerne Ihre "vorbeschichteten Schrauben" verkaufen.

Regards
    Tom

• New bolts are cheap to buy...would you take the risk with the old ones?? I would'nt.

• ""New bolts are cheap to buy...would you take the risk with the old ones?? I would'nt.""

That's right - if there would be a real risk.
    But from an engineering standpoint there is really no reason to buy new bolts.
    It's an old fashioned bike with simple technical solutions
    and no APOLLO-rocket :wink: .

Regards
    Tom

• Ich weis zwar nicht, ob das auch für Pulley Schrauben gilt aber z.B. bei geteilten Pleuelfüßen verwendet man sogenannte Dehnschrauben. Die dehnen sich beim Anziehen minimal und sichern so die Verbindung. Das klappt aber nur ein mal und nur bei peniblem Einhalten der Drehmomentwerte. Ein mal zu stark angezogen und gelöst, Wirkung verpufft.
    Wie gesagt, ich hab keine Ahnung, ob das hier auch der Fall ist. Auf jeden Fall zerren am Pulley schon gewaltige Kräfte und wenn da mal Spiel drin ist könnten die Folgen wirklich dramatisch sein. Den Tipp mit der Farbmarkierung finde ich jedenfalls gut, zumal er einfach anzuwenden und nebenbei auch noch fast kostenlos ist.

Hajo 8)8):D:D

• Hallo zusammen,
    ich habe keine konkreten Erfahrungen mit Harley (ich warte immer noch auf meine Street Bob) sondern nur generell aus dem Getriebebau.
    Man tauscht nicht nur gebrauchte Dehnschrauben gegen neue aus sondern allgemein Schrauben, die drehwinkelgesteuert angezogen werden und sicherheitsrelevant sind. Die Schrauben werden dabei bewusst über die Streckgrenze hinaus angezogen und sollten daher nicht wiederverwendet werden.
    Wenn der Hersteller empfiehlt, neue Schrauben zu verwenden würde ich dem immer blind folgen. Ich glaube nicht, dass es hier Harley darum geht, ein paar Euro mehr zu verdienen. Das ist einfach ein Sicherheitsaspekt.

Nico

P.S.: ... noch 59 Tage ...

• Hi Nico,

gut, dass Du noch positivern Glauben an die Company hast :wink: .
    Aber die Pulleyschrauben sind weder Dehnschrauben noch sonstwas Großartiges.
    Popelige Schrauben mit von HD vorappliziertem LOCTITE.
    Austausch wird nur angeraten, weil man nicht davon ausgeht, dass jeder LOCTITE
    zur Hand hat (und weil man noch ein wenig Sackmoos machen kann :mrgreen: ).

Gruß
    Tom